Porter flag

Porter flag

Monday, January 16, 2017

Can you believe it's been 6 months?

Hey Ya'll,

How is everything?? Sounds like life is still moving on for you guys. Before I say anything else I had something a little crazy happen this week that reminded me of my mom. As I was cooking lunch one day, I tried manhandling a can of food to open it... well let's just say that the can of food won and split my finger open. It was a pretty good cut and it wouldn't stop bleeding. Mom you are probably wondering how this relates to you, and no you aren't as painful to me as being cut ;) but this made me realize as I cut my finger open all the stuff I had to do in order for it to heal. All the medicine I had to take, and treatment I had to do to heal myself. And as I thought back to all my times when I was younger when I got hurt, you were always the one who took care of me. I never realized how difficult it is to take care of myself, even in the little things like this, so I can't imagine taking care of other people, especially considering how amazing you are at it. SO thank you mom for all you did for me when I was younger. I sure did take it for granted and regret that right now. 

I can't believe that it has been 6 months. It's crazy how fast it has gone and how much more there seems to be. I have mixed feelings about it all. To answer about Elder Meyer, I actually played basketball with him earlier. We talked about life and how crazy that we are actually here. We also reflected about home and how much we miss it all at times. I think we both realize how amazing our lives were back at home and then to come here and see how life is for others. Humbling. We are going on splits on Thursday so I am excited. 

I am doing really well. I feel like I experience every feeling there is each and every single day. BUT I have learned, there is only limited time in each day, so why waste it being mad or frustrated. Of course there are still moments that you will have those feelings, but in those moments you have to dig deep, take a deep breath, and just smile because we have a loving Heavenly Father who is just giving us blessings left and right. So yea, smiling, and being thankful is what helps me get through every day. 

We don't have any baptisms coming up soon but we do have a good amount of investigators. Rowena is in a struggle at the moment and not wanting to go to church. Mainly because she can't afford it and has a child that keeps her up all hours of the night. But she still needs to realize that in order to receive the beautiful blessing and opportunity to be sealed in the temple, she needs to sacrifice and go to church. That's the big word, sacrifice. It's one of the hardest things to do, but if you think about it, it's not really even a sacrifice, it's more of an investment for what we will get later after this life. She is just such a great person.

Most emails my family says "let me know if there is anything I can do for you," I guess I really don't need anything except for you all to tell every one here to accept our message. Like holy cow, I just don't get why people won't accept sometimes? You know the feeling of just wanting to drag people by the necks to church or make them listen to you. But it is alright, I am learning some very essential qualities of Christ that I want to learn. So can you work on that everyone?

My week hasn't been too crazy, I am just doing what missionaries do. Thats is spreading the gospel to all those that say "Hey Joe" haha if you don't get the joke it is because you haven't experienced life in the Philippines. Have a great week and I love you all!

Elder Richards


Me and My favorite person in the Philippines
Elder Meyer
My gouged finger.
Basketball with the district







No comments:

Post a Comment