Porter flag

Porter flag

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Week 1 MTC

Well I can finally say that week number 1 is over. It has had its rough moments but the joy I feel out weighs it. 

The first 2 words that come to mind is, CULTURE SHOCK. As we drive around here I look around and all I can see are houses barely staying up. The glass windows are broken and the roofs look like it is made out of scrap metal. My heart broke for every soul I saw. 

Trying to learn a language has been both a blessing and a trial.Through all the late night studies and conversations that I don't know what is being said, I've learned a lot about myself. I forgot what it felt like to work and pray constantly for something I wanted. Every night so far I have gotten on my knees and pleaded with Heavenly Father to bless with me the gift of tongues and help me out with this trial. I have not yet had an answer, but I can just feel that everything is going to be ok.

I was called to be a District Leader in the MTC. Many members of my district have gotten very homesick. I have found a new kind of love for my district member and seeing the hardship they are going through is hard for me. I realized that I have to put all my troubles to the side and focus on them if I want to be a good leader. Through helping them out and preparing, I've noticed that I am not homesick. It is true and I can testify that if you get lost in the work of the Lord, you forget about yourself.

I love the people of the Philippines. They are the most humble, down to Earth people I have ever met and I am looking forward to serving them.

Last but not least MTC does not stand for Missionary Training Center, it stands for "make time count". Having such limited time here, I can't be messing around if I want to be an effective missionary. I absolutely love the kindness and happiness I feel here. It's hard to put it into words, but I can already tell that I will fit in just fine here. Love and miss everyone.


Elder Porter Richards

Also, Thank you for the emails, I enjoy hearing whats going on with you all. I am sorry I'm short on time this week to reply individually. Hopefully next week I will have more time.

The Trio: Elder Rasmussen, Elder Richards and Elder Peterson
Elder Richards and Elder Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment